After seeing a post in /r/homebrewing subreddit a few days ago about homemade hop candy, I thought it was a great way to use up some ‘lose’ hops and see if there is a difference between the varieties in the candy.
My first batch tonight was with cascade hops, a slight bitterness that follows once the sweetness wears off the candy.
2.5 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup hop tea
- I steeped 1/2 oz of Cascade hop pellets with 1.5 cups near boiling water in a french press for about 15 minutes
- Poured the remaining 1 cup of hop tea in a pot with the sugar and corn syrup
- Stirred slightly just to mix everything up
- Attached my candy thermometer
- Brought up to 300F without stirring.
- Removed pot from heat and poured onto parchment paper over cookie sheets
- After a few minutes started to work the hardening candy with a buttered flat metal utensil.
- Take the candy off the heat JUST before 300F, the temp shot through 300F in a few seconds
- Use our large slab of marble
- Buy white cotton gloves to use to work the candy with
- cut into chunks and roll into balls by hand
- Commercial hop oil