Following along with a recipe from “Making Wild Wines & Meads” again, I harvested some rose hips that a family friend had available. I was late getting to the hips apparently as quite a few were black & soft, or at least partially so. I had to cull those out. With the remaining hips, I cut them in half and ended up with 2 1/2 pounds.
With this weight of hips, I had enough to make 1 2/3 gallons of wine or so. Here are the ingredients:
- 2 1/2 lbs Rose Hips
- 3 3/4 lbs white sugar
- 1 2/3 tsp yeast nutrient
- Juice from 2 large oranges, about 1 cup
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 2/3 tsp pectic enzyme
- 3 quarts water
- Lavlin 71B-1122 yeast
- 1 campden tablet
I sliced the hips in half, placed them in a bag in a sanitized bucket and tried to smash them as best I could. They are fairly hard little things. Next, I added the 3 3/4 lbs of sugar and water and dissolved the campden tablet. After 24 hours I rehydrated the yeast at 104F per Lavlin, then added to the must.
After 2 days I had no fermentation. I worried that all the citrus and only part of the total water, that the pH was too low and giving the yeast issues. I added boiled and cooled 3 more quarts of water, then repitched the same type of yeast. Within 12 hours I had fermentation.
The flavor is supposedly ‘reminiscent’ of apple wine but more delicate. Let’s hope.
I did find out from my mom that my great aunt Joy used to make very good rose hip wine. I have memories as a kid being at their house & everyone drinking a lot of wine, I guess rose hips could have been some of what they had.
I measured it out at 10B and estimate a 24B starting point giving it around 13.1% ABV. It is too dry and tart so I plan to blend with the overly sweet Rhubarb wine – a Rhubarb Hip / or Rose Barb wine!