Update on St Teresas Irish Red

Well, after not getting my water volumes exactly where I wanted them, my OG ended up at 1.066 (17 Brix).  So now I will have to term this Keeney’s Imperial Irish Red Ale.  Today (nine days of fermentation) I measured 1.012 (8 Brix), and 7% ABV.  I’m glad to see that it is already down to it’s likely terminal gravity already, pitching on top of the Scottish Ale yeast cake (US-05) worked pretty well on the speed of fermentation.  We’ll have to see about the flavor, mouthfeel etc.

I can’t say enough how nice it is to utilize Sean Terrills website to do the refractometer conversions.  It is great to be able to use a refractometer in place of taking large samples (and wasting) of wort / beer.

His website is here, and he now has PHP code on the front page to input and calculate FG readings from refractometer readings.  Good Stuff!

I tried a bottle of Scottish Ale two nights ago, and it had very little carbonation and tasted terribly sweet.  I will give that a few more weeks to carbonate up and hope the bite of the carbonation offsets the sweetness.  I don’t have my hopes us.

My next brew planned will be a BIAB on the stovetop indoors doing just 2.5 gallons.  I’m going to try to make this easy and I work on various recipes.  I’m all for having 1 case of bottles per batch and making many more batches than being stuck with two cases and doing fewer brews.  I just want to brew.

This entry was posted in My Brews. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Update on St Teresas Irish Red

  1. Pingback: Brewday #16 – St Teresas Irish Red Ale | i craft (home) brew

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s